What is a PID?

The Person ID Number (PID) is an identification number assigned to all people with a university relationship, as defined by an official university department. This number is designed to give all persons a universal number (PID or Person ID) that is unique to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The number is nine digits long and replaces all existing card numbers previously used on campus. The PID is the primary record keeping key for all departments within the university and must be used for all communication.

How do I get a PID?

Prospective students will have a PID created upon completion of Guest ID creation. The way in which students are notified of their PID depends on the admissions office with which they have applied. Any student who is either new, transferring or readmitted to the University will be able to create an Onyen upon acceptance.


To find your PID, go to the PID Lookup page.

Graduate Students

Graduate Schools will notify prospective students that their application has been received. In that notification, they will be given their PID and told to use it to check the status of their application online. Students already having a PID can have it reactivated when they re-enroll.

Part-Time Students

Continuing Studies creates PIDs for part-time students.

How do I reactivate my PID?

Student records become inactive when a student fails to register by the end of the drop/add period for the current spring or fall semester. Any student not enrolled in the current semester will receive notice that their Onyen is no longer active. This status will continue until the student re-enrolls.

Note: The issuance of a PID does not indicate that you have or will be admitted to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Admissions decisions are communicated only in writing and only by the respective admissions office.


PIDs for EHRA and SHRA staff are created, or update when there is an existing PID for the individual, when the departmental HR Facilitator requests the background check as part of the hiring process for new or returning EHRA & SHRA staff.

Once the hiring process is completed, the PID is active to create Onyen 30 days prior to hiring date. Please note if the hiring action is completed within that 30 day period an One Card cannot be created until the following business day.

Affiliate PIDs are for anyone who is working in collaboration with the University, requiring University Services, and is not a student and not paid by UNC payroll. They include, but are not limited to:

  • Visiting Scholar
  • Research Collaborator
  • Contractors and temps (not paid by UNC payroll)
  • Summer Groups
  • UNC Retirees
  • Volunteers

Only HR Representatives can access and enter anyone into the Affiliate Request or ePAR systems. If you are an HR Representative and do not have access to the system or your department, please contact the Office of Human Resources for assistance.

Retirees and Emeritus Faculty must go through HR Benefits.

Volunteers. Interns, Visiting Scholars and Independent Contractors require background checks; please see the HR Policy on Unpaid Volunteers, Interns and Visiting Scholars for further information and exceptions.

Affiliates cannot authorize themselves; they must have a UNC-Chapel Hill sponsor. Please be aware that PID processing can take up to two business days.  Please fill out the form below and give it to your departmental HR Representative for entry into the Affiliate Request or ePAR system*.

*If you are an HR Representative and are unsure when you should use the Affiliate Request or ePAR system, please contact the PID Office.

After approval has been received by the HR Representative, the Affiliate can create an Onyen on the requested start date at the Onyen Services website.

Affiliates needing a UNC One Card must go to the One Card office, one business day after the HR Representative receives approval through ConnectCarolina, with a driver’s license, passport, or military ID for identification purposes. Please check with the One Card Office to see if there will be a $10 card fee. If the department would like to pay the fee, they may do so through ConnectCarolina.

Contact Us

PID Office
UNC Student Stores
Daniels Building – 3rd Floor
207 South Road, CB #1530
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1530
Fax: 919-962-8217

Hours of Operation
8 a.m.–5 p.m. M–F

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have ever attended UNC you have a PID. Any current staff, faculty or contractor with the University should have a PID. If you believe you have a PID, you may look up your PID online or contact us to find your PID.
All persons affiliated with the University as a student, faculty, staff, or affiliate will be assigned a PID upon entrance into the University community. For more detailed information on how, where, and when PIDs are assigned please see above.
If you have a current UNC One Card, your PID number will appear in the bottom right hand corner of your card. All PIDs are nine digit numbers that begin with a 7. If you do not have a current UNC One Card, see below.
Yes, people will have one PID that will be used throughout their tenure at UNC Chapel Hill. Even if your status changes, or you come back to the University after an absence, you will still continue to use the same PID. If you think that you may have multiple PIDs, you should contact the PID Office immediately.
If you have an SSN, please see below. If you do not have an SSN please contact the PID Office for assistance.
If you know your PID, but you are having trouble signing up for an Onyen, please refer to the Onyen Policy Page for more detailed information on the specific requirements for Onyen creation. If you need to sign up for an Onyen go to the Onyen Creation page.
If you think you may have a duplicate PID, please contact the PID Office immediately with the following information: Your full name, date of birth, gender, SSN*, PID numbers and a phone number at which you may be reached.

If you need to change your name or add/update a SSN, please fill out the Name/SSN Change Form and submit, with the appropriate documentation, to the relevant office.

For all other changes please contact the PID Office for more information so that we can direct you in the correct procedure.

The issuance of a PID does not indicate that you have been or will be admitted to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For more information on your admission, please contact your admissions office for assistance.

How to Look Up Your PID

  1. If you have a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN*) you may look up your PID online.
  2. Contact the PID Office with your full name, gender, date of birth and SSN*.
  3. For batch PID lookup requests please e-mail the PID Office for instructions.

*Note: The Social Security Number is requested by the institution solely for administrative convenience and record keeping accuracy, and is requested only to provide a personal identifier for the internal records of the institution. Please do not send your SSN via email. If you are going to provide your SSN for identification purposes please call or fax.